Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Fresco



I discovered a great resource for art lessons on the dick blick website. I tried one yesterday with my students, it is a lesson for creating frescoes. You can find the lesson here.

I thought it was a fun lesson both for art production and art history. The kids loved learning about Pompeii and the ancient fresco paintings discovered there. The kids had a great time and wanted to make more and more. On several of the frescoes I used a yellow water color wash to help antique the plaster. I also preferred using colored pencils instead of the pastel with the younger kids. It was hard for them to keep from smearing the pastel with their hands. I loved the idea of breaking the pieces to antique them even more but most couldn't bear to crack their beloved fresco drawings.

2 comments:

Allyson Hill said...

Thank you for the links, what wonderful ideas! They provide great learning opportunities and I'm looking forward to choosing a project for Micah and myself. Take care!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the links. I especially love the family tree one and will definately have to try these.